The Senior Accountant is responsible for performing general, cost and financial accounting functions. This includes developing and executing processes to ensure timely and accurate financial closings, internal management reporting, and supporting analysis. The position supports operational analysis through development and review of cost accounting data including standard costing, work-in-process review and analysis and manufacturing variance analysis. This position also supports development of budgets and forecasts for the organization and will partner with multiple cross functional team members both at corporate and the respective business units to develop and achieve operational objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
General and Cost Accounting
- Performs financial, general and cost accounting functions for the organization
in accordance with GAAP and Corporate policies.
- Executes monthly financial closing program including journal entry
preparation, bank/account reconciliations, and variance analysis within
- Assists in maintaining the organization’s system of accounts and ensures
adequate support and documentation for all company transactions.
- Analyzes and reports on manufacturing variances and identifies corrective
- Ensures proper inventory valuation and maintains controls over all physical
inventory including cycle counting, cost analysis, variance analysis and
physical inventory counts.
- Conducts standard cost development including materials, labor and overhead
rates and utilizes internal and external data to establish accurate costing.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on all financial and cost modules and
interfaces for ERP systems.
- Streamline and improve the process.
- Serve as primary contact for Sales Tax Audits and works with divisions to
- Prepare consolidating work papers supporting year-end financial statement
- preparation/consolidation and assist in MD&A preparation.
- Performs all Fixed Asset accounting and maintenance via the FAS system
monitoring of Capital Expenditures
- Assist in Treasury functions and cash management (including daily cash
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Supports the Controller in preparing monthly financial statements and
- Develops, analyzes, and reconciles statistical and accounting information for
monthly and quarterly financial and balance sheet reviews.
- Assesses operating results in terms of profitability and performance against
plan/prior year to ensure accuracy and identify opportunities.
- Participates in annual strategic planning and budgeting, periodic forecasting,
and management reporting processes.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for internal and external financial audits
related to operations including client prepared schedule list.
- Maintains effective internal controls to ensure compliance with Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Corporate requirements.
- Conducts monitoring of all sales and margin related changes and provides
analysis of performance versus expectations and market trends.
- Prepares consolidation of Weekly Sales Forecast Reporting and coordinates
weekly review meetings.
- Prepare analysis and discussions of key business drivers and supports
monthly business review meeting process.
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and analysis projects.
- Make recommendations that will have significant impact on overall company
- May direct the work of others within the department
- Provides support to peers and colleagues to help achieve departmental goals.
Strong technical and analytical skill with solid financial, general and cost accounting background in a manufacturing and distribution environment. Experience with standard cost systems and integrated financial software. Ability to draw upon experience/professional skepticism to quickly identify issues and develop effective courses of action. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Composes documents that clearly present information or a plan
- Participate in cross-functional teams working collaboratively with
engineering, manufacturing, packaging, materials management, and/or
- Willingness to work across all levels of an organization.
- Ability to work across cultures.
- Able to manage conflict.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS. or BA in Accounting or related discipline with equivalent work experience
- 5+ years finance, accounting or related work experience required.
- Experience in a manufacturing accounting environment required.
- Previous experience with accounting software/systems required
- Advanced financial analysis and quantitative skills
- Excellent accounting analysis and research skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools including Word and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional Excel skills required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- CPA, CMA or similar professional accounting designations preferred but not